House fires are always a scary tragedy to befall people. And it’s not just people who are affected by them, animals are as well. For one family in Howard County, Maryland, their cat and guinea pig were saved by firefighters when they were given oxygen after being rescued from the house fire.
The firefighters responded to a call about a fire at an apartment building in Elkridge. When they arrived on the scene, it was more than the balcony fire that was initially reported – the whole 3-story building was ablaze in flames and there was heavy black smoke coming from the back of the building. Fortunately, a statement on their Facebook shared that all the tenants had managed to safely evacuate.
The post stated that the fire required roughly 2 hours to extinguish. It explained that the firefighters had initially gotten the fire under control, but then it spread to the roof, making the firefighters have to reevaluate their strategy. This meant that they evacuated themselves out of the structure and changed to fighting the fire from the outside of the building.
During the fire, the firefighters managed to rescue a cat and guinea pig. They were in need of oxygen, and according to the fire department, they were aided in their breathing with the help of Pet Oxygen Masks. Fortunately, they were revived and are doing well according to the department.
Article continues below
Our Featured Programs
See how we’re making a difference for People, Pets, and the Planet and how you can get involved!
There was one person in the building who had to be taken in for a medical evaluation because of smoke inhalation. Additionally, 15 of the tenants ended up being displaced from their homes as a result of the fire. A picture was captured of the firefighters carrying the two animals out of the building, as well as giving them oxygen using their special masks.
Someone from the community saw the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services Facebook post and left a comment that read, “Thank you for your dedication in the face of this challenge. You are appreciated more than you know. And yay for the Pet Oxygen masks!”
Someone else added a comment thanking the department for what they do, as well as mentioning that they were keeping the others affected by the fire in their prayers.
Anastasia is an American writer and journalist living in Dublin, Ireland. Her Twitter is @AnastasiaArell5.