Did you know that a newborn panda cub is roughly 1/900th the size of its mother? What about the fact that pandas were once carnivores, but have the unique credit of having adapted to be omnivorous? And that meat now only makes up about 1% of their diet, with bamboo leaves, stems, and shoots comprising the other 99%? Or what about the fact that the bamboo they rely upon so heavily is so lacking in nutritional value that they typically eat between 20 and 40 pounds of it each day to get the nutrients they need to function!?
If you do, then you already know that pandas are incredibly interesting.
And if you didn’t, you probably do know they’re incredibly adorable.
Unfortunately, it is believed that there are less than 1,600 giant pandas living in the wild today. Seeing one in its natural habitat, therefore, is exceedingly rare.
Recently, a research team was allowed entrance into a secluded mountain range in Sichuan province, China. While they were there, there were lucky enough to cross paths with a panda after ten days of searching.
See their amazing footage — watch the video.Whizzco